May 11, 2010

Betty White Saved SNL with Her Facebook Jokes


If there is a Hollywood woman known for her everlasting publicity, I’m sure it would be Betty White. The last episode of Saturday Night Live (SNL) was targeted as a Mother’s Day Episode and our “Golden Girl” Betty White hosts the evening show. Not only has the show gained a preliminary rating of 8.8, but also earned the highest rating of SNL since November 1, 2008.

On her gratitude for her fans on Facebook who had been putting on campaign to put on Betty White on SNL, she threw a hilarious joke that she has never heard of Facebook until a fan group for Betty White was made. “And now that I know what it is,” she said,
“it seems like a huge waste of time. … At my age, if I want to connect with my old friends, I need an Ouija board.”

The 88-year old Betty White was acting as a grandmother in spoof film hero “MacGruber,” fetching him in silly dialogues that confused him long enough that the explosives he was planning to disperse all went off. However, what marked Betty White’s SNL performance was her monologue, which is featured on the top of this post.